Winter term 2016/2017
30 contact hours (1 class a week)
ECTS credits: 6
Lecturers: Tomasz Wicherkiewicz
A1. Acquainting students with knowledge how language functions in social environment, the social dimensions of language and relationship between language and society at different levels
A2. Introducing students to main theoretical and methodological trends in sociolinguistics as well as major themes of current global sociolinguistic debates
A3. Providing students with theoretical and analytical tools to identify and analyze the links between social and linguistic processes
A4. Acquainting students with sociolinguistic terminology and basic methods of sociolinguistic research
A5. Providing knowledge on specific aspects and interdisciplinaries of sociolinguistics, sociolinguistic variables, factors, branches and approaches.
A6. Teaching students how to gather and process sociolinguistic data and use them in research projects and reports for international organizations, government agencies, public administration, non-government organizations etc.
10% – student’s activity in class,
45% – report and presentation of the project designed,
45% – oral exam
30 contact hours (15 classes)
25 hours assigned reading
45 hours design of a project (group work)
30 hours preparation for the exam
Basic reading list
- Ball Martin J. (ed.) 2010. The Routledge Handbook of Sociolinguistics Around the World. Routledge.
- Bayley, Robert & Ceil Lucas (eds.) 2007. Sociolinguistic variation. Cambridge University Press.
- Coulmas, Florian 1998. A Handbook of Sociolinguistics. Oxford: Blackwell Publishers.
- Fishman, Joshua (ed.) 1999. Handbook of Language & Ethnic Identity. Oxford University Press.
- García, Ofelia, Rakhmiel Peltz & Harold F. Schiffman 2006. Language Loyalty, Continuity and Change. Joshua A. Fishman’s Contributions to International Sociolinguistics. Multilingual Matters.
- Kloss, Heinz 1967. “‘Abstand languages’ and ‘ausbau languages'”, Anthropological Linguistics 9 (7): 29–41.
- Llamas, Carmen, Louise Mullany & Peter Stockwell (eds.) 2006. The Routledge Companion to Sociolinguistics. Routledge.
- Meyerhoff, Miriam 2010. Introducing Sociolinguistics. Routledge.
- Mills, Sara 2003. Gender and Politeness. Cambridge University Press.
- Paulston, Christina Bratt & G. Richard Tucker (eds.) 2003. Sociolinguistics: The Essential Readings. Blackwell.
- Trudgill, Peter 2001. Sociolinguistics: An Introduction to Language and Society. Penguin.
- Trudgill, Peter 2002. Sociolinguistic variation and change. Edinburgh University Press.
- Wardhaugh, Ronald 2005. An introduction to sociolinguistics. Blackwell.