30 contact hours (1 class a week)
ECTS credits: 4
Lecturer: Nicole Nau
time and place to be announced (starts in the second week)
The aim of this first semester of the MA seminar is to broaden the students’ knowledge of research design and research methods in various fields of empirical linguistics and to enable them to choose the appropriate methodology in their own research. They will also find the topic for their MA thesis, on which they will start working in the second semester of the first year of the program.
- Finding and formulating research questions
- Essential characteristics of scientific studies and good practices in linguistic research
- Methods of data collection
- Quantitative and qualitative research
- Questionnaires and interviews
- Experimental studies
- Analysing text and talk
20% students’ activity in class
80% two presentations with written summaries
Examples for assessment tasks:
Task 1: Summarize the main point of parts of a chapter in Podesva & Sharma, eds., 2014.
Task 2: Present and critically evaluate the methodology of an existing study in any field of empirical linguistics.
Task 3: Present the design of a possible future study.
30 contact hours
40 hours reading
40 hours preparing presentations
- Holmes, Janet & Hazen, Kirk, eds. 2013. Research methods in sociolinguistics: A practical guide. Malden: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Hult, Francis M. & Johnson, David Cassels, eds. 2015. Research methods in language policy and planning: practical guide. Malden: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Litosseliti, Lia, ed. 2010. Research methods in linguistics. London: Bloomsbury.
- Podesva, Robert J. & Sharma, Devyaniels. 2014. Research methods in linguistics. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Russ, Gordon & Petre, Marian. 2007. A gentle guide to research methods. Berkshire: Open University Press.
- Wälchli, Bernhard & Leemann, Adrian & Ender, Andrea. 2012. Methods in contemporary linguistics. Berlin: de Gruyter.
- Wei, Li & Moyer, Melissa G., eds. 2008. The Blackwell guide to research methods in bilingualism and multilingualism. Malden: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Eisenbeiss, Sonja: Experimental Linguistics in the Field, site at: https://experimentalfieldlinguistics.wordpress.com/